Where to go for your smear test
It's completely up to you who takes your smear. You can choose to go to your regular doctor or choose to go to:
- any doctor or practice nurse
- a midwife
- Family Planning
- your sexual health service
- marae-based or other Māori health centres
- community health services, eg, Pacific or women’s health centres
- screening support services.
You can request a female smear taker from most services.
Whoever you choose, all smear takers are specially trained to make sure the test is comfortable, and meets your rights as a patient.
The National Screening Unit can help you find someone to take your smear. Give us a call on freephone 0800 729 729.