Where to go for your smear test
Did you know you don’t have to go to your regular doctor, or the person who took your last smear? It’s completely up to you who takes your smear.
You can choose:
- any doctor or practice nurse
- a midwife
- Family Planning
- your sexual health service
- marae-based or other Māori health centres
- community health services, eg, Pacific or women’s health centres
- screening support services.
You can request a female smear taker from most services.
Whoever you choose, all smear takers are specially trained to make sure the test is comfortable, and meets your rights as a patient.
The National Screening Unit can help you find someone to take your smear. Give us a call on freephone 0800 729 729.