Twizel resident Dene Madden considered himself to be in very good health, so getting a positive result after completing a bowel screening test kit, was a bit of a shock.
“My doctor called me to tell me and I was rather stunned,” says the 67-year-old, who had never been to hospital in his life.
Dene was referred for a colonoscopy, during which polyps (growths in the bowel wall) were found and specimens sent off for biopsy analysis. One turned out to be cancer.
Dene has since had surgery and it appears the cancer has been fully removed. He also had follow up chemotherapy.
After his near miss, Dene urges anyone who receives a bowel screening test kit to use it. “It could save your life,” he says.